Followers

Tuesday 7 February 2012

ELF Brush Cleaner

Hello my be-you-tiful ladies!
Today's post is all about the Elf Brush Cleaner (as you may have guessed from the title :D). I bought this about 2 months ago after realising that simply washing my brushes with hot water was not good enough! I had already  had an order in mind for ELF so when i got round to buying it all i simply added it to it when i noticed it on their website. I thought the price of it, at £3.50 was a really good deal ( At the moment on their website it is currently being sold however for £2.45-available here).
When the bottle arrived i was surprised how much product you actually recieved as it is a generous 250ml, and i thought the packaging was fairly sleek with an translucent off black colouring and simple font. The bottle also is a spray lid which i thought was particularly handy as it meant easier application of the product. 


ELF states on their website that the product is "An anti-bacterial daily brush cleanser for quick cleaning in-between makeup applications. Disinfects brushes to provide a fresh and clean application every time. Helps to keep your brushes lasting longer for extended use." 


I found initially with this product that a fair amount needed to be sprayed to achieve a decent clean. The product itself has a strange scent sort of like anti bacterial gel which you use on your hand as well which is in my personal opinion is slightly off putting as when you use the brushes you have cleaned you can quite strongly smell it! 

I do think that the product itself does do a good job of cleaning my brushes, i haven't had any major problems, i just wish i didn't have to spray them as much as i do to get the brushes clean enough, however i do understand that this product is intended for daily brush cleaning not a deep cleaning treatment. 

I think that for the price you pay, the product does the job that you intend it to, and it has not got major problems, but for some reason i am just not a massive fan ( i do think the scent of the product plays a massive part in this- which to be honest is just personnal taste!!)

Would I Buy This Product Again?- Honestly, i don't think i would even with the price so low.
Is it Value For Money/Cost Effective?- For the price you pay for this product it definitely is value for money as it does the task you want it to fairly well. As for being cost effective, you do have to use a fair amount of the product to get a decent clean of the brushes, but as it is a good sized bottle and a low price you can afford to use more. I have been using this product at least 3 times a week on my brushes since i bought it and i am not even a 1/3 of the way through the bottle so it will last a long time!

I have heard other bloggers talk about other brush cleaning products and techniques e.g. MAC brush cleaner, baby shampoo, and i would LOVE to know your thoughts on these or others that you know of as i would like to find a good way of keeping my brushes nice and clean!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!
Love Kristina x

12 comments:

  1. Baby shampoo is really good! I normally use baby shampoo on eye brushes but on face brushes and stuff that build up alot of product i use 99% alcohol, i bought it on ebay for £6 for a hugeeee bottle. Not only does it remove pigment, but it dries really fast and kills germs. gossmakeupartist from youtube has a video on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i will definitely have to give it a go! so many people have recommended baby shampoo and its pretty cheap to buy too! ohhh never thought about using alcohol i will research it now! thankyou lovely! xxx

      Delete
  2. I use baby shampoo which is great but it's such a faff to wash them every use I decided to get the Elf cleaner. Used a couple of times and think it's good so far and I find I don't use so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh i will have to give baby shampoo a go! glad this product works for you :D! xxx

      Delete
  3. thanks for the review- i almost picked this up! if you spend so much money on brushes why use a half good cleaner you know? xx

    My Blog: Boho Vanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello! yes i know exactly what you mean! Will have to hunt for a new brush cleaner i think! will have to let you know how i get on! xxx

      Delete
  4. I use MAC brush cleaner to give my brushes a daily spot clean, then once a week give them a deep clean with baby shampoo. xx

    http://thebeautyoflouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby shampoo is definitely the product people are suggesting the most! when i go to the mac counter this week i may have to check out their version though! xxx

      Delete
  5. very informative. Im looking for anew brush cleaner. I've been using MACs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how have you been getting on with the mac one? thankyou for reading this post! x

      Delete
  6. I Recommend baby shampoo works wonders. & I wash them with shampoo when I first get my brushes to prevent them from shedding on me!.

    http://naniiyalondon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use baby shampoo for when im doing a deep clean but ive also got this elf brush cleaner and it does an ok job for quick cleans but im hoping to find something better! ive heard the mac one isnt great either.... :( x

    ReplyDelete